Wednesday, April 25, 2007

something something

Early on in our wedding preps, it never occured to me that its a "must" that I have something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue to use on the day of my wedding. Although I have heard that "belief" or whatever a thousand times before, I never thought that most of my friends and even mike are aware of it, too. Yep, it was Mike who first reminded me that I should have that something something in me on our wedding day.

So where did the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" thingy came from?

Lifted from ask.yahoo.com:

"The next line of this old saying actually hints at its origin. The complete phrase is:

Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy.

"Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past.

"Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead.

"Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient
Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."

So... here they are, presenting the something something i used when i got married.

something old- i really couldnt think of any, months before the event. i have a lot of old stuff that i can use, but my question back then was "how old should it be?" "can i just buy my shoes today and use it once and by March 30 after one use, is it already considered old?" or "can i just wear an old underwear? after all, nobody will notice it." but of course, how about the honeymoon? hahaha. so i ended up using my old white hanky instead, which, for some reasons, was not used during my crybaby moment, because the hanky was in my pouch bag which i handed to my MOH before i left the hotel.

something new- of course, my gown. my very previous gown :)


something borrowed- a pair of diamond stud earrings. they're actually from our wedding & e-ring suppliers, and months before our wedding, i asked her if she could design an earring that will complement my swarovski-studded halter v-neck gown. and the following day she delievered these gorgeous pair of earrings which is "katerno" of our engagement ring. we agreed that i will trade my old mother of pearl earrings and ring set with this one, to save me some pesoses... but until today we havent settled on the payment scheme yet so i do not consider these earring mine yet. i just borrowed it from them, for the meantime.


something blue- the rosary that we bought from CTK when we had our pre-wedding seminar. i was holding it while i was walking down the aisle. i read from somewhere that the bride is sort of offering herself to Mama Mary on her wedding day so to pay respect, she must have a rosary with her. something like that. i was really holding on to this rosary when i was outside waiting for my turn. i was really praying that my wedding will be as perfect as possible, and that i would not step on my gown when i walk.






1 comment:

..ron.. said...

ang cute nman ni2.. kelangan pa pla na may something something.. thanks for reminding!! as if im going to have my wedding. hehe.. just in case.. ;p nice choice of ur sumthings!!! (",)